The Strange Artworks of Emi Slade….

………………………………………………………………………Art News and Upcoming Exhibitions


Leave a comment

Almost there…..!!!

image

image

image

Whew!!!
It took 4 layers of careful trimming and textural blending to fade the fox, skunk, and bear furs together!
For the chin I added some curled black bear fur with individual skunk tail hairs blended in for the salt-n-pepper look. After the bondo sets I’ll be able to attach the ear fur (also blended fox/bear) and paint the lower lip. A few spot checks, some last minute mount adjustments, and probably a few deep sighs of relief and this amazing specimen will be complete!!!


Leave a comment

More Updates on the Were-Fox head

It’s almost finished!!!

image

Blending fox pelt with scrap skunk hide

image

Next comes ears, lower jaw fur, and curling the whiskers!

Hard to believe this was just a lowly, tattered, discarded fox fur “scrap”; virtually EVERYTHING here has been sculpted to work around the damage and bring the face back-to-life. The nose, jaws, skull/head, eyes, tongue, and of course teeth were all sculpted with special polymer and epoxy clay then painted with acrylics …*whew*!

Here’s some humble beginning shots…

image

image


Leave a comment

New Ponies

Just listed these on my etsy page! I think that these little, more jovial (maybe that’s not the right word) kinds of projects are great for keeping my production high and my mind relaxed. I’ve got a tendency to do 500 things at once, so sometimes it’s good to sit down and decompress..you know, hacking up my little ponies 😉

“Space Lamb”

image

image

image

And “My Little Night~Mare”

image

image

image


2 Comments

WIP post…

I’m concentrating the majority of my attention on taxidermy really, but I had started this submission for one of my favorite west coast galleries and the deadline was just extended giving me just the perfect and realistic amount of time I needed to finish it. I’ve got to wait on a few things in the tanning wash, so the timing couldn’t be better!
The base is a found item, a painted poppy plant on walnut craft wood. I liked the painting a lot, but sadly the finish was in pretty bad shape. What I’ve done here is preserved and incorporated the original painted bloom into the new work and created a psychedelic poppy-plant-squid-creature to embrace it. It’s flashy, colorful, and no doubt a far out piece! Here’s some progress pics to give you an idea of what the finished piece will look like…

image

image

image

image

image
image

image